I know this is often viewed as an old lady's cake, bland and simple, but I have been buying this regularly from our village shop and loving it.
The recipe is based upon Nigella's with a few tweeks, taken from the inspirational blog 100 Cook Books. A straight forward lift of the adapted recipe is:
- 250g butter
- 200g caster sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C (I reduced the temperature after 30 minutes by 10 degrees as I have a fan oven, I should have reduced it from the start as the edges of the cake were slightly dry)
- Cream butter and sugar and add lemon zest
- Add eggs one at a time with a little of the flour between each egg
- Then gently mix in rest of flour followed by lemon juice
- Dollop into a loaf tin and sprinkle with tbsp caster sugar
- Bake for 1hr to 1.25hrs (until a cake tester comes out clean) - I baked mine for 55 minutes, which was enough.